Snow Peas and Vanilla Custard with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb.

What’s GREAT at the Market?

Fresh, colourful, crunchy and delicious. What more could we want from our fresh produce. This week I am shining the spotlight on snow peas – the perfect pea to enjoy right now before the season ends. I bought some beauties from Everest Farm last Wednesday – so very sweet and I am still munching my way through them. They are also available from the organic farm stalls.

Perfect for lunch boxes and for snacking on too. They are superb raw and cooked – but if cooking make it very brief – less than two minutes and only just until they are bright green – otherwise they are ruined

They are delicious cooked ever so briefly in garlic and butter and served with pine nuts (or crunchy toasted macadamias or maca crumbles) and served with a dash of sesame oil and chopped mint. Extra .

While preparing these, munch on a delicious red capsicum or if you like slice it into strips and mix through your snow peas, macas and mint.

Strawberries are abundant so while rhubarb is still available now is the perfect time to make a delicious dessert. I have been inspired again by my favourite chef, Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipe for Vanilla Custard with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb. Search the web and you will find the recipe at https://kitchenthinking.home.blog/2019/01/01/ottolenghis-vanilla-custard-with-roasted-strawberries-and-rhubarb/

 

Or try Karen Martini’s decadent roasted rhubarb and strawberries with rose geranium and prosecco. 

https://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/karen-martinis-roasted-rhubarb-and-strawberries-with-rose-geranium-and-prosecco-20140930-10o0zx

 

 

Decadent dessert: Roasted strawberries and rhubarb scented with rose geranium. Photo: Marcel Aucar

Stallholder Changes this Week: 

 BACK this week:

  • Tusta and his very popular frozen meal-in-a-pack at Heart and Halo PLUS his turmeric chai tea. AND
  • Leanne and Anne Marie with their Doggie-licious treats

 ABSENT due to seasonal variations:

  • Narbey’s Best Avocados – back in 18th September

Entertainment: Broadfoot

Weather: Sunny/partly cloudy. Only a 30% chance of rain during the market hours. This increases later in the day with a high (70%) chance of showers/thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Overnight temperatures falling to between 9 and 13 with daytime temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s.

Produce of the week (newest season produce is in bold):

  • Apples –
  • Avocados – Hass at JRA
  • Bananas
  • Beans
  • Beetroot
  • BLUEBERRIES
  • BROCCOLI
  • Capsicum
  • Cabbages
  • Cauliflowers
  • CELERY
  • Citrus of all varieties including pomelos
  • Cucumbers
  • Custard apples
  • Eggplant
  • Fennel
  • GRAPEFRUIT
  • Kale
  • LEMONS
  • LIMES
  • MANDARINS
  • Microgreens and sprouts
  • ORANGES
  • Passion fruit
  • Paw Paw
  • Pears
  • Peas
  • Radish
  • Raspberries
  • Rhubarb
  • Silverbeet and spinach
  • STRAWBERRIES
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchinis
Close Menu