School Holidays – this week we have three activities planned for you:
- Kids for Kids Week with some of Nimbin Valley Dairy’s beautiful baby goats coming to the market for children to see and pat (if they are calm and not too stressed). And talking of goats don’t forget to visit Carlu at the Nimbin Valley Dairy stall and taste some of their delightful cheeses. Sainte Billie is based on the classic surfaced ripened lactic goat cheeses of Southern France it displays delicate goat milk flavours with a rich creamy paste.
- Children’s Face Painting by Gretchen
- Active entertainment by local circus member Sammy, an experienced circus performer in the Hoopla Circus will entertain children this week with a range of interesting activities that may include hoola hoops.
Regular stallholder and Fresh produce Update:
Micro Greens: In the gap between new season greens becoming available micro greens provide a salad of tender baby leaves and shoots. We are very lucky in the northern rivers because we really do have an ample supply of greens throughout the year. However adding these baby leaves and sprouts gives a delightful change to your salad bowl and your tastebuds.
The Gourmet Salad Hut carries sunflower sprouts and lots of other greens grown hydroponically.
- Experts estimate that there can be up to 100 times more enzymes in sprouts and micro greens than uncooked fruits and vegetables. Enzymes are special types of proteins that act as catalysts for all your body’s functions. Extracting more vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids from the foods you eat ensures that your body has the nutritional building blocks of life to ensure every process works more effectively.
New season Nicola Potatoes – last week Jumping Red Ant dug up fresh Nicola potatoes for the market so we will continue to see these for a few weeks. Weeks. They also planted more than 12,000 spring seedlings ready for summer. These include capsicums, eggplants, tomatoes, zucchinis, cherry tomatoes, green beans, butter beans bull horn peppers, Hungarian sweet peppers & new season chillies to hot up your summer !!
This is how farmers keep the produce coming week after week. Regular planning, planting and harvesting!
All Natural Meat Company has fresh preservative free mince for making a great lasagna or tasty meatballs with a tomato pasta sauce. Their chicken tenderloins can be crumbed and put in a rolled pitta. And their sausages – freshly made by the team – are great for an easy BBQ!
Peter and Lee invite you to come and say hello to the All Natural Meat Co team and get some great school holiday meal ideas!
2nd market for Local Fusion Foods with their tasty wholesome tortilla rolls made using your choice from their range of flatbreads filled with haloumi and organic quinoa salad served with a special spicy Moroccan tomato sauce and cucumber and mint tzatziki.
3rd market for Little Argentina’s selection of traditional Argentinian foods and treats and the classic Argentinian natural drinks, Yerba Mate and Argentinian herbal drinks.
Beagle and the Bagel: If you haven’t yet tried the bagels give them a go this week – they are all baked during the night on Tuesday night and include a variety of sweet and savour bagels and sweet and savoury fillings. Ulani and Juliette are delightfully helpful.
Chai Harem – in addition to the well know Chai and herbal teas – this week they will have chai kombucha, peppermint kombucha and inner warrior kombucha.
Crabbes Creek Wood Fired
- It’s hard to beat the smell of freshly baked sourdough especially as the sun rises over Mt Warning and that heart warming aroma drifts by Jon and Gina’s van as they unpack breads baked overnight. They offer a vast variety of sourdough breads all made using certified organic flour from Wholegrain Milling, filtered rainwater and hand harvested Celtic seasalt. All seeds used are Australian organic and their pumpkin, Macadamias nuts, honey, herbs, olives etc are all local produce from the farmers’ market or their garden. Their variety of breads includes:
- Premium Stone Ground
- Wholewheat Stoneground
- Seeded Wholewheat Stoneground
- Seeded Dark Rye Stoneground
- Wholemeal Spelt Stoneground
- Lite Rye
- Macadamia And Honey
- Olive And Pepper
- Fruit And Walnut and
- Fruit Buns
I look forward to seeing you at your farmers market – every Wednesday
– 7am until 11am (rain or shine), Murwillumbah Showgrounds via the
Sue Beckinsale – Market Manager