What’s GREAT This Week?
Growing, growing READY! Freshly picked broccoli is now available from Cecil Farm and Everest Farm and Jumping Red Ant farm stalls. Broccoli is a cool-weather favourite and reportedly one of the most popular winter vegetables. It not only tastes great when literally farm fresh but it is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. It is rich folic acid and contains manganese, calcium and potassium. It is also rich in the plant compounds known as indoles and isothiocynates found to have strong cancer-fighting properties AND sulforaphane. We know from so much recent research that we can improve our health by improving our diet:
… an emerging new science called epigenetics helps us to see that we do have control over the destiny of our health. An improved diet that is very high in antioxidants and phyto chemicals like sulforaphane can actually signal the genes and the DNA to be expressed in a healthy way instead of being expressed in a disease. http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/team (search under articles
Also great this week are Sundowner apples from the Costanzo Apple Stall. Sundowners are a beautifully sweet and flavoursome apple that sweetens more with age. This makes them perfect for baking. They hold their shape well so are perfect for topping an apple pie or cake.
Early season strawberries are now in at Rainbow Fruit Flats.
Supporting our community:
- Tweed Palliative Support is back this week so please help them to keep helping our very sick.
- All Natural Meat Company is absent this week ONLY. The public holiday causes their deliveries to be too late for our market. They will be BACK NEXT week
- Belles Kitchen – a fortnightly stall is NOT at the market this week. Back next week.
- Brunswick Seed Oysters the weather has once again prevented Noel from restocking his supplies. He will have more water quality testing now so watch this space each week to see when he will be back.
- Nudgel Nuts absent this week due to local flooding
- Quarterdeck Citrus has been unable to pick so won’t be at the market this week.
- Dosa Heaven, Marci Food, Gunters Flammkuchen and a number of food stallholders will not be at the market this week due to the very wet weather.
- Crabbes Creek Woodfired absent this week due to the very wet weather.
- Flat Earth Organics this week due to the very wet weather
- Deli Cafe (bakery items) also absent due to poor health.
- Blueberry Fields returns in July or August – weather depending.
- Narbey’s Best Avocados – their Shepards have finished and also Pinketons – last market today. Hass are coming fully into season so hopefully we will see them back at the market on 28th.
*REMEMBER* ATM at the market! Every week.
Entertainment: TBC – weather dependent
Weather: It looks like a wet one so we will be fitting as many stalls as possible into the pavilion. Due to the rain since Saturday the showground is very very wet and parking has been restricted. It will be in the cattle yard and along Queensland Road.
Produce of the week (newest season produce is in bold):
- Bok Choy
- Cucumbers (Lebanese)
- Dragon Fruit
- Lettuce and lots of leafy greens
- Potatoes (various)
- Sweet potatoes
Seasonal Produce List Updated:
Beans (+organic), Beetroot (+organic), Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Capsicum, Cauliflower, Chard (organic), Chilli, Cucumber (+organic), Corn (+organic), Eggplant (+organic), Garlic (+organic), Herbs (basil + organic basil, coriander, fennel, ginger, rocket, turmeric and more), Kale (+organic), Lettuce (cos organic), Fancy Lettuce and mixed salad greens, Micro greens (+ wide variety of organic such as alfalfa, barley greens, sunflower, broccoli, chick pea), Peas incl snow peas (+organic), Mizuna, Onion (+organic), Mushrooms, Pak Choi (organic), Potato (Sebago) , Potatoes (kipfler ++), Pumpkin (+organic), Salad Mix, Silver Beet, Sprouts (+organic), Spinach (+organic), Sweet Potato (+organic), Tatsoi (organic), Swedes, Tomatoes (+organic), Taro, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini (+organic).
Apples, Apricots, Avocados, Bananas (Cavendish, Lady Fingers (organic also),
Black muscat grapes, Blueberries, Carambola (star fruit), Custard apples, Dragon Fruit, Grapefruit, Grapes, Kiwi fruit (organic), Lemons + Limes (incl organic), Lychees, Mangoes, Mandarin (organic), Oranges (organic), Passionfruit, Paw Paw, Pears, Plums, Raspberries, Rock melons, Sapotes, Strawberries, Watermelons.
Flowers – Gerberas, Lisianthus, Roses, Tropical flowers – currently sassy heliconias.
Eggs – including organic
Nuts – Pecan nuts and macadamia nuts, nut oils, butters and choc coated nuts
Dairy – Cows milk, cheeses and yoghurt, kefir, cultured butter ++ Goats milk and
soft cheeses, kefir
Honey – Raw unprocessed Caldera honey, creamed honey and creamed honey with cinnamon! And bees wax candles.
Rice and Breads – A variety of artisan sour dough breads baked with a diversity of organic flours (including spelt and rye) and many flavours that use local market products including macadamia nut bread!
Mushrooms – Gourmet mushrooms – king oysters, white oysters, pink oysters, blue oysters, shiitake and Shimeji available at Wollumbin Gourmet Mushrooms and button mushrooms at Mountain View Eggs.
Meat – Beef, pork and goat (All Natural Meat Company produced), Salami (Nimbin Valle
y Diary) periodically + lamb and chicken sourced within the broader market radius and locally caught fish – very seasonal.
Seafood – Locally harvested oysters by Noel Baggalay from his Brunswick and Tweed Rivers oyster farm. Seasonally caught local fish, prawns and other seafood as it becomes locally available.